Thursday, September 20, 2007

DAY Fourty Fargo to Callaway MN 84km

DAY Fourty Fargo to Callaway MN 84km [should be]
Sept 18 TuesD 104 km M 32.2 with wind A 17[13 into wind] PT6 h RT 8.5h total 3250 km
Wind I don’t want to talk about wind anymore!! Head winds++ Detours into the wind!
Temp warm of course in the hotel this morning, but stayed cool all day
Road Condition good until we headed on the detour 11km off course into the north wind! With no shoulder and mega traffic!! Fast trucks, lots of traffic , but all moved over or slowed down
Accommodation: very basic camping tonight at Callaway City park [free] with portapotti and we are in the shelter with our tent. Pop. 200… I think they fudged that! Not many houses in town and no grocery store, just a garage with a few items. Nice people offering us advice on roads etc.
Food: Breakfast We hadn’t anticipated breakfast for the first time and Ken went to the hospital across the street and got apples and muffins from the cafeteria. Good idea!
Lunch Fenton café was as usual a greasy spoon, but it filled the stomach and I think I burned it off in the pm
Supper We used the Kelly kettle for the first time in days and had a great noodle supper with buns
Overall What a day! Got a surprise when we hit the detour signs and had to add 22km to the days route. I hadn’t slept all that well. Never do in a hotel. Had I noted it was the cleanest hotel I have been in in years! Beds a little soft for my liking… compared to a 1” thermarest! Started off and in minutes we were out of North Dakota… I didn’t get a flag pin! Oh I hope I can get one via email ! Into Minnesota and into headwinds right off! Not a good start George! Then turned east and side winds a bit better. @ 36km hit the detour and that was not good. Headed North into the wind for 11km to Fenton. Nice people in the restaurant, with the usual greasy fair, but well presented. We headed east with a side wind 18k to Ulen where they have a great store with okay stuff. Didn’t check if they have camping as we still had a little energy to go one. The owner of the grocery suggested we continue on 10k on 34[16] to save milage and head south on ~11k on 7 then resume to Callaway. It was a long haul, but we did it and got in before the sprinkling of rain…. Wonder where Derryl is? I don’t think I could travel in mid summer as I would worry about all the other cyclists we met and if they are safely into camps. I really felt last night that a day off in Fargo would have been a good idea and today half way to Fenton I really was wishing I had suggested it! Met a guy as we entered Callaway that said he had seen us along the way from Devils Lake, he really liked our reflective vests and wishes more cyclists wore them. 2100 and starting to rain…. Glad we pitched the tent under the shelter! There is no notice in this park that you can camp or not… wouldn’t know if we didn’t belong to Adventure Cycling… Frogs on road! Ken had to move the portapotti so the door could open… I think they figure camping is done for the year!

No comments: